My name in Bengali / Bangla script: শ্রেয়া ঘোষ
The meaning of my name is auspicious or lucky in Sanskrit. It's a derivative of "Shree", and it is also one of the names of Hindu goddess Lakshmi.
Postdoctoral Research Scholar [Intelligent Information Systems].
Let's Connect! I am always happy to talk, share ideas and collaborate! Just drop me an email.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://shreyaghosh-2016.github.io/
- Phone: +91 9007448845
- City: Kolkata, West bengal, India
- Degree: Ph.D [IIT Kharagpur, 2021], MS [Converted to PhD, 2016], BTech [IIEST, Shibpur, 2015]
- Faculty/ Teaching: Available
- Industry Position: Available
- Collaborative Research: Available
Presently I am working as a postdoctoral fellow at Intelligent Information Systems Laboratory of Pennsylvania State University, USA. I am working with Prof. Prasenjit Mitra in Information retrieval and NLP. Previously, I was a research fellow at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur with a broad research interest in spatial informatics in contributing towards human movement behaviour analysis and facilitating location-based services. I joined IIT Kharagpur, India in 2016 (Aug) as a PhD scholar in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and submitted my thesis titled "Semantic Analysis of Trajectory Traces to Explore Human Movement Behaviours" in 2021 (Jan). I am grateful to my supervisor Prof. Soumya K. Ghosh for giving me a chance to be a part of his research group - "Spatial Data Science" - where I learn and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds. My PhD research was supported by TCS Research Scholar grant.
The future of mobility will strive towards environment-friendly, integrated, automated and personalized travel on demand!
To summarize, at this point in my career, my primary interests are in mobility data analytics applied to the field of distributed platform to handle huge data load and utilizing the extracted mobility and semantic knowledge in real-life problems (say, road-safety, unmanned vehicles in large scales and assisting users). I have pursued these interests to date by conducting my PhD research in related domain in different contexts.
In the immediate future I would like to go for building the test-bed, simulator and developing novel ML algorithms, and deploying intelligent mobility-aware systems. However, in the long term I see myself working on expanding my expertise in these areas by a mixture of real-life implementation (self-driving cars/ drones) and empirical work.
Mobility/ Trajectory Trace Analysis* Urban Mobility (Aerial) Modelling * Mobility Knowledge Graph * Sustainable Urban Mobility Analysis *
Machine Learning* Deep Learning Model * Transfer Learning * Reinforcement Learning (Spatio-temporal Context)*
Cloud Computing and IoT* Mobility-aware Cloud Framework * Internet of Spatial Things (IoST) * Cloud-Fog-Edge Framework *
Location-based Services (LBS)* Context-aware Service Provisioning * Resolving Challenging Real-life Problems Efficiently * Deployment of end-to-end LBS *
The future of mobility is "Aerial", "Connected", "Autonomous" and "Intelligent". And it's happening now: Uber Air which is just a beginning! Let's prepare and contribute together for a flying future...
My major expertise lies in spatio-temporal algorithm designing, GIS-tools and technologies, Cloud Paradigm and ML model implementations. I have also some experience in front-end (web-design) and API developments.
My brief resume is provided here, and you can also find my CV
Doctor of Philosophy [Spatial Data Science]
2016 (Aug)- 2021 (Jul)
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
Computer Science and Engineering Department. Course works: Cloud Computing, Geographical Information Systems (GIS), Design and Analysis of Algorithms (advanced), Foundations of Computing Science (advanced), Artificial Intelligence, Object Oriented Paradigm, and Machine Learning.
Masters by Research [Spatial Data Science]
2015 (Jul)- 2016 (Converted to direct PhD Program)
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
Bachelor of Engineering
2011 - 2015
Indian Institute of Engineering Science And Technology, Shibpur
Computer Science and Engineering CGPA: 8.90/10 [Top 5 in the department] Gate (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) Qualified  NET (National Eligibility Test) Qualified  TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Score: 104/120 
Higher Secondary (XII)
2009 - 2011
West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education
Science Group and Computer Science Marks: 95.25% [Top 10 in the State]
2008 - 2009
West Bengal Board Of Secondary Education
Science, Language, and Computer Application Marks: 92.60%
Presentations and Talks
(I) 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 3rd - 7th Apr 2017, Perth, Australia. (II) 25th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, IEEE (ICPR), 20-24th Aug 2018, Beijing, China. (III) IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), 7-10th Oct, 2018, Miyazaki, Japan. (IV) 17th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA), 14-16th December, 2017, Delhi, India. (V) 11th International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NET- workS (COMSNETS), 8-10th Jan, 2019, Bengaluru, India. (VI) 12th International Conference on COMmunication Systems & NETworkS (COMSNETS), 7-11th Jan, 2020, Bengaluru, India.
Junior Research Project Assistant
2015 - 2016
Researh Project on Transportation, funded by Ministry of Human Resource Development [MHRD] Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
- Decision Support System for transportation of hazardous materials in city region of Kolkata
- Designed a SDI (Spatial Data Infrastructure) to assist in routing decisions regarding transportation of hazardous materials
Senior Research project Assistant
Researh Project on Spatial Data Analytics, funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. in India Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
- Spatio-temporal Data Intelligence to Combat and Manage Pandemic Situation
- Distributed Framework to Execute, Store and Transfer Machine Learning Models
2016 - 2020
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur
- Programming and DataStrctures [2 Semesters]
- Cloud Computing [4 Semesters]
- Geographical Information Systems [3 Semesters]
Teaching Assistant [Online Platform]
2016 - 2020
Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM), Government of India
- Online Cloud Computing (above 30,000 enrolled candidates)
- Google Cloud Computing Foundations
- Spatial Informatics
My research work is motivated by the fact that human moves with an intent, and mapping the intent of the move with raw GPS log provides usable knowledge to build an effective system. In this regards, few works are presnted here.
- Mobility Analytics
- Mobility-aware Cloud System
End-to-End Mobility Analytics
Mobility Analysis and Modelling
Mobility Knowledge Graph
Design and Development
Combating against COVID-19
System Development (Ongoing)
Mobility Knowledge Extraction
User Categorization and Transfer Learning
Location Based Services (IoT, IoHT)
Google Scholar Link: Complete Publication List
- Shreya Ghosh, Soumya K. Ghosh and Rajkumar Buyya. "MARIO: A Spatio-temporal Data Mining Framework on Google Cloud to Explore Mobility Dynamics from Taxi Trajectories", Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), Volume 164, Pages: 1-17, ISSN: 1084-8045, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands Press, 2020. [Impact Factor: 5.57]
- Shreya Ghosh , Anwesha Mukherjee, Soumya K. Ghosh, and Rajkumar Buyya. "Mobi-IoST: Mobility-aware Cloud-Fog-Edge-IoT Collaborative Framework for Time-Critical Applications", IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (TNSE), Vol- ume 7 (4), pp. 2271-2285, IEEE 2020. [Impact Factor: 5.21]
- Shreya Ghosh, Soumya K. Ghosh. "Exploring the Association between Mobility Behaviours and Academic Performances of Students: A Context aware Traj-Graph (CTG) Analysis", Progress in Artificial Intelligence, Volume 7 (4), pp.307-326, Springer 2018. [Impact Factor: 3.08]
- Anwesha Mukherjee, Shreya Ghosh, Aabhas Behere, Soumya K. Ghosh and Rajkumar Buyya. "Internet of Health Things (IoHT) for Personalized Health Care using Integrated Edge-Fog-Cloud Network", Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Comput- ing, ISSN: 1868-5137, Springer Science+Business Media, Berlin, Germany. [Accepted, in Press] [Impact Factor: 4.59]
- Shreya Ghosh, and Soumya K. Ghosh. "Exploring Mobility Behaviours of Moving Agents from Trajectory traces in Cloud-Fog-Edge Collaborative Framework", Proceedings of the 20th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Internet Computing (CCGrid 2020), pp. 893-897, Melbourne, Australia, May 11-14, 2020. (Doctoral Symposium) [A Rank]
- Shreya Ghosh, Jaydeep Das, Soumya K. Ghosh and Rajkumar Buyya. "CLAWER: Context-aware Cloud-Fog based Work ow Management Framework for Health Emergency Services", Proceedings of the 20th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Clus- ter, Cloud, and Internet Computing (CCGrid 2020), pp. 810-817, Melbourne, Australia, May 11-14, 2020. [A Rank]
- Shreya Ghosh, Soumya K. Ghosh, Rahul Deb Das, and Stephan Winter. "Activity-Based Mobility Profiling: A Purely Temporal Modeling Approach", Proceedings of the 27th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), pp. 409-416, ACM, Lyon, France, Apr 23-27 2018. [A* Rank]
- Shreya Ghosh, Soumya K. Ghosh. "Modeling of Human Movement Behavioural Knowledge from GPS Traces for Categorizing Mobile Users", Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), pp. 51-58, ACM, Perth, Australia, Apr 3-7, 2017. [A* Rank]
- Shreya Ghosh, Soumya K. Ghosh. "THUMP: Semantic Analysis on Trajectory Traces to Explore Human Movement Patterns", Proceedings of the 25th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), pp. 35-36, ACM, Montreal, Canada, Apr 11-15th, 2016. (Poster Paper) [A* Rank]
Awards and Grants
- TCS PhD Research Scholarship (July 2017 - Oct 2020).
- CoDS COMAD Student Travel Grant 2020.
- International Travel Scheme Award, SERB, DST for presenting paper in IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (IEEE SMC) 2018.
- IEEE Student Travel Grant for presenting paper in IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (IEEE SMC) 2018.
- ICPR/IAPR Travel Grant for presenting paper in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2018.
- Microsoft Research Travel Grant for presenting paper in World Wide Web Conference (WWW) 2017.
- 3rd rank, Demo competition in IBM Day 2016, IIT Kharagpur. Title: Mobility Summary and User Categorization based on Semantic Analysis of Human Movement Patterns.
- 2nd rank in Cognizant CIO’s Challenge for Students, Selected in IT foundation of Cognizant Certified Student Program 2015. Developed an web-application titled SQL-VAL: Validate your SQL queries without executing! to upload and validate SQL query syntax without execution.
- Government Merit Scholarship for Graduate Study for Outstanding performance in Higher Secondary Examination 2011.
I have been actively involved in varied educational and training workshops. I also put a significant amount of time to review papers of journals and conferences, evaluating projects and demonstrations to help students and contribute towards the academic community.
IEEE TNSE, IEEE ACCESS, IET Networks, Software: Practice and Experience, Journal of Cloud Computing
Final and pre-final year projects on IoHT, crowdsourcing and hybrid path planning. Evaluator of National Hackathon on Self-Reliance based Intelligent India Hackathon organized by Computer Society of India, Kolkata Chapter 2021
Resource Person in workshops related to Geospatial Data Modeling from Spatial Data to Web Services. Speaker in events, namely, Use of geospatial cloud-based platform for development of data services and registers, Bio-inspired Computing and Its Applications in Mobile Network etc.
Dr. Soumya K. Ghosh
Professor, IIT Kharagpur & National Geospatial Chair Professor
Shreya is a proficient researcher with a clear vision in research and a strong track record in academia. She has made a significant progress in her research work and has the capability of out-of-the box thinking. In my opinion, her strong academic background, inquisitive mind, teaching ability and research motivation makes her a strong candidate for the research, or teaching position in any leading organization/ university. I wish her all the best.
Dr. Rajkumar Buyya
Redmond Barry Distinguished Professor, Director, Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems (CLOUDS) Lab, The University of Melbourne, Australia
I have worked with the Shreya on "Spatio-temporal data analysis in Cloud-Fog computing infrastructure". From my interaction with her, I believe Shreya will be able to make excellent contributing to our efforts in advancing IT technologies and their applications to key domains such as healthcare and mobility analysis in the context of COVID-19. She will further help in developing strong linkages with India and attract innovate research grants from several collaborative programs.
Head (TWF)/ CEO (NSDI) Advisor, Scientist-G, Department of Science & Technology, Government of India
Shreya is an active member of the research team of Prof. Ghosh, who is executing various research projects related to geospatial science, sponsored by DST, New Delhi. Shreya was an instructor in several DST sponsored workshops on “Geospatial Data Modeling and Mobile Apps for GI Application” for scientists/officials (domain experts) of various national agencies, working with geospatial data. During the workshop Shreya had shown commendable skill in imparting knowledge/technique of spatial data modeling, handling spatial database and hands-on training on UML tool.
Dr. Somnath Pal
Professor, IIEST Shibpur
Shreya has shown high level of intellectual curiosity, group-work and self-motivation throughout the time I have known her. She is able to comprehend her academia very well and has been successful in keeping an excellent merit performance all throughout her BTech program including the subjects taught by me. Even during her BTech project, she was able to formulate hypotheses very easily and came up with very well-designed algorithms and coding. Her ability to analyze data efficiently and accurately deploy it in the programming environment is also a very valuable talent.
Park Circus, Kolkata, West Bengal